When Food Becomes and Bore and a Chore...

WereYorkie
on 9/8/15 12:12 am
VSG on 05/11/15

Next week, I will be hitting month 4 since my surgery. For the last month or so, food really has become a total chore and a bore. You still are super vigilant (I weigh everything that goes into my mouth) but at times, I simply don't want to eat, but I need to because I am coming close to the 5 hour mark. 

Has anyone else experienced this? How do you get out of this... this funk?  

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/8/15 4:17 am

You just do it. 7 years post op - I still have days like that. 

For me finding new recepies, new foods to eat or try makes a difference. Having veriaty of foods cooked available. 

But... Unless I don't meet my protein requirement- or feel that my BS is dropping - I don't eat if I don't feel like eating. Sometimes our gut needs a break... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 9/8/15 6:56 am - Warren, OH

Exactly what HALA said.  Some days I don't want any food so rely on protein shakes to get my requirements.  Eating is no longer important to me.  Once in a while there will be something that I really enjoy eating and I remember when I used to look forward to every meal.

That was when I shopped in the large size departments of stores, had trouble walking very far, and always felt fat and miserable.  I much prefer my energy, size 4 clothes and general sense of feeling wonderful.  It is way better than any food used to be.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/15 7:23 am - OH

Yep, what they said.  I'm 8 years out and some days eating is a chore.  For me, it is probably primarily a result of too little variety in what I eat (and not wanting to do a lot of cooking just for myself, since I get tired of leftovers).  

Some days, I just eat a cheese stick or a container of yogurt and call it a meal. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Zee Starrlite
on 9/8/15 2:41 am, edited 9/8/15 7:28 am

This certainly will not last - you'll be hoping for these days one day further post op!  No worries.  Just be robotic about it for now.  Get all of your vitamins, protein, and water in.  Sometimes food is just a source of nutrition to sustain life.  

Now is the time to find pleasure in life and not food!

All Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

SkinnyScientist
on 9/8/15 10:09 am

I did and it goes away as more variety becomes available and your pouch becomes able to tolerate larger volumes.

Enjoy the boredom!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Maria27
on 9/8/15 10:47 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

You celebrate that food no longer controls your life. A lot of days the only thing that drives me to eat is reaching my protein goal. You should be focused on eating just enough to fuel your body. Get your enjoyment somewhere else. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

TimeForMe61
on 9/8/15 6:22 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Exactly what I was thinking, Maria. Food is fuel. I'm scared to go down the slippery slope of enjoying it too much. I'm loving that I eat what's good for me when my body needs it. And there are many days when boredom or apathy about food are there and I just make sure I'm meeting my nutritional rules. Yesterday was one of those days so I had a shake for dinner. It's so much better than the alternative!

Kathyjs
on 9/8/15 6:29 pm

13 years and I still find food boring and a chore. I will eat the same things for weeks at a time. I do still love to cook though. Cooking seems to satisfy my food addiction